Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Review: Blue Moon Caramel Apple Spiced Ale


It is that time of the year again when breweries all across the U.S. shell out their fall seasonal beers and the whole country goes nuts for them. I would be included in that category. The great pumpkin flavor as well as the unique spices that breweries put into these beers makes them truly special and satisfying. Now, if you are a friend of mine, you probably know that I am a huge Blue Moon fan and I considered it to be my go-to beer as well as my gateway beer. The fall season is where I think Blue Moon shines with interesting and great-tasting beers with their fall seasonal sampler pack.

But this is not a review of the Harvest Pumpkin Ale from Blue Moon. This is a review of the limited release Caramel Apple Spiced Ale. As I am sitting here drinking this beer with the official Blue Moon styled glass, I figured, "why not write a review of it?" Because every single one of you need to experience this great beer.

Appearance: 4/5
This beer pours a nice, rich copper color with a light tan-colored head. This color makes you think of the fall season and all of its glory. The head was thick at first and dissipated slowly, but maintained a presence throughout. There is also some slight lacing.

Nose: 4.5/5
This is one of the best but also one of the most interesting smelling beers I have ever put my nostrils to. Immediately the scent of cinnamon graces your nose, but that quickly turns into a subtle scent of caramel. Once the caramel scent is deeply imbedded in your senses, the scent of apples enters and you feel as if you are in a small town cider mill. The feeling of fall sets in full force with this scent. It is almost as if you are back home and it's Thanksgiving and the smell of your mom's homemade apple pie is filling up your house. That is the beauty of this beer's aroma.

Taste: 4.5/5
Caramel Apple Spiced Ale is tasty and tastes like nothing I have ever had before - and I have had my fair share of beer. The cinnamon notes are the first to grace your taste buds and are very prominent, but not overpowering. For some, the taste of cinnamon is a turn-off but I think it goes great with this beer. As the brew flows to the back of your throat, the flavor changes to a nice caramel malt and apple taste giving you the sensation of a fresh caramel apple, perfect for fall. The aftertaste stays the same. The flavor of this beer is not overwhelming but is certainly not lacking any flavor. It is bold and bursting with flavor at every sip, even the very last. At 5.8% ABV, this beer won’t knock you on your ass after three or so, allowing you to fully enjoy the great fall experience that is Caramel Apple Spiced Ale.

Mouthfeel: 4/5
The addition of fresh apple juice in this beer creates a little different experience than most are used to when drinking a blue moon. The apple juice creates a smoother and cleaner feel than a flagship Blue Moon and the cinnamon creates a nice spiced feeling when you are drinking it. The carbonation is not overdone either.

Finish: 4.5/5
When my glass was empty, I felt a little sad inside. This beer truly finished out a like caramel covered apple that had coating of cinnamon. These are all things that I love, and it truly made this brew shine. The beer finishes smooth and goes down very easily leaving the perfect amount of flavor making you want more.

Total Score: 88.5/100

Overall, this turned out to be all I hoped it would be and then some. I truly got the feeling I was eating a caramel covered apple with a coating of cinnamon. This beer was very drinkable which is dangerous because I could have about five of these without even looking. For anyone who loves the fall season and the beers that it delivers should go pick up the Blue Moon fall sampler pack which contains Caramel Apple Spiced Ale. You get three of these bad boys in it with four different blue moon styles to go with it. How could you pass that up?

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment